Look, I only half believe this story, but folks are reporting that Zack Snyder is going to direct Superman.
If you wonder why I'm skeptical, its because similar reports were issued prior to Superman Returns with Brett Ratner, McG and Michael Bay attached. And, Justice League was slated to go into production about five years ago before someone at WB noticed that the idea and casting for the movie were absolutely terrible.
A quick list of pros and cons
- Zack Snyder has a great eye for production design
- Snyder loves original source material
- This will actually get a movie going rather than simply circling the drain
- The dude loves a good action sequence, and he may have some keen ideas for how to take what makes Superman super cool in the comics and translate that to movies in a way audiences have not previously seen
- I am not too worried about anyone thinking a Zack Snyder directed Superman movie is about a weepy, wimpy superhero as folks felt about Superman Returns
- If that whole "look at this in slow-mo now in fast motion" thing could apply to any two superheroes, its The Flash and Superman
- Snyder has a terrific eye for design, but I have yet to see him tell an original story
- His choices on Watchmen, when given latitude beyond the page, almost always seemed... wrong
- In short, he seems technically competent, but he hasn't shown deftness or understanding of how to do much more than present a story in a sequential manner. He hasn't show an ability to creatively infuse life into a movie.
- Watchmen was a critical dud, didn't exactly set the box office on fire and is still routinely cited as "what's wrong with comic movies" for a variety of reasons
I'm going to just be zen about all this until... well, later.