Tuesday, September 6, 2016
Batman vs. Superman Bonus Post: A Few More Questions
In my recent post on the 2016 smash hit Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, in discussing the movie, I tried to stick to what I saw as over-arching issues from a character and structural perspective. I wouldn't say I cherry-picked, but I tried to focus on recurring issues indicative of the larger problem of Snyder and Goyer's take on their universe. I didn't want to get too nitpicky about plot holes. But...
I do still have some plot-related questions, some loops that could be closed. Let's explore together, shall we?
1a. Batman is waiting for Lex's people to come off the White Portugese. I forget how he knew what they had (I'll assume they explained that - probably on the mystery drive), but didn't the Cherry Jolly Rancher scene make it clear that Lex received legal clearance to bring Kryptonite into the country? So - Batman was essentially killing guys for legally moving a government approved research specimen into the country. Can that be right?
1b. So, if Superman lets Batman just kill all those people and then flies off, then what is happening there?
2. The security protocol on the Kryptonian ship (which speaks English, of course) is to state "well, the council doesn't want you to create this terrible abomination which, for some reason, we keep record of how to do in our database", but if you respond without any kind of password protected override of any kind and an unverifiable verbal instruction that the council is no longer in place, the ship will help you make a horrible monster? Wasn't this a chance to show that Lex was some sort of genius by understanding xenotech and by-passing all of that encryption, etc...?
3a. Why, if you have the mother of Superman of all people, would you bring her to the greater Gotham/ Metropolis area? You picked her up in Nowheresville, Kansas. Why, in 2016, with cell phones, wouldn't you take her to literally any other place than the two places Superman knows pretty well?
3b. Why, in the warehouse where the guy had Martha held, did he have, like 25 guys with him? A) that seems expensive and B) like a surefire way for someone to blab. But 25 guys with machineguns are not going to stop a motivated Superman. So, why were all the guys there except to make it look awesome when Batman fought all those dudes?
4. Why doesn't Superman just say to Batman "I'm not going to fight you. I'm here because Lex Luthor has a hostage and he made me come over here. He wants for me to kill you to get the hostage back." Batman may not think highly of Superman, but there's no concept of Superman as an actual liar in the film.
5. Yes, I also thought 18 months was pretty quick for a whole park to be built, complete with a Superman-shaped sculpture - which would have been controversial, at best.
6. What was going on with Perry constantly bitching about the state of journalism but then insisting on puff pieces?
7. So, for absolutely no reason, Lex lets Mercy get killed during his Capitol explosion?
8. What, exactly, does it say about the mindset at WB that they created a scene where a US Senator finds a surprise jar of piss terrifying - a jar of piss apparently nobody, even Superman, can smell - and why was the Senator so weirded out? It's called politics, and one would assume she knew this, at most, meant just doing some handwaving and/ or just telling the truth. Ie: "I did not trust Lex Luthor, and therefore did not authorize him to do jack nor shit. We are seeking other options." None of this seemed that complicated.
9. I don't even know how or why I should consider how Batman sorted through all of Lex's data in his data center to pull not just the White Portugese data, but the amazingly relevant Metahuman data as well. This just feels like the laziest writing possible.
If you have answers, drop them in the comments. If you have more questions, also drop them in the comments. Let's sort this out TOGETHER!